Get the important facts about acne, including the different types and what causes it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Alopecia Alopecia facts; different types of hair loss & what can cause it.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Facial Wrinkles and Lines Find out what causes facial wrinkles and lines.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Non-Healing Wounds Facts about non-healing wounds, including different types & causes.
- Psoriasis Learn about the symptoms of different types of psoriasis.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mark S Amster has the following 1 specialty
A dermatologist is a doctor who has extensive training and knowledge of the skin, scalp, hair and nails and treats conditions that affect those areas. These doctors will evaluate any abnormality, blemish or lesion on the skin in order to determine the cause and will determine a course of treatment.
Dermatologists provide patients with full body scans in order to identify any signs that are indicative of an illness that requires treatment, such as skin cancer. These specialists may also provide cosmetic services, such as mole removal, scar diminishing treatments and even botox and face lifts.
- Skin Biopsy
- Skin Cancer
- Actinic Keratosis
- Acne Rosacea
- Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
- Basal Cell
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 33
Very negative experience. Went in for moderate acne. Spent at most 90 seconds with me (I'm being generous). Didn't take the time to ask my history; didn't ask me whether this was a new problem for me, whether it had been going on for years, whether I felt had sensitive skin, etc. I also had some questions/concerns I was hoping to discuss, and he talked over me and more or less ran out the door. His recommendations were for things I'd already tried and did not work. Also called my acne "wild," which I found insensitive. I work in healthcare and understand the importance of efficiency. However, there is a difference between efficiency and rudeness, and Dr. Amster was definitely the latter. I left with no confidence that his recommendations were right for me, as he knew nothing about me. Will be going elsewhere.
Dr. Amster is a very friendly, personable guy. I've had mixed experiences with him. But all the times I've been, I feel like he took a tv remote and wanted to fast forward through our appointment! He looks at the area, tells you what it is in about 2 seconds. That's great if you're in a rush and its only one possible diagnosis.... but he made a mistake with my diagnosis once. He said some patchy skin that I had was psoriasis- which is treated with a steroid (foam). For a few weeks I was treating it with the steroid and my skin got a lot worse and VERY itchy. I made an appointment with him right away in which he looked at it and said.... this is folliculitis. The reason it's getting more irritated is because the steroids were blocking your pores/hair follicles. Oh, well,... thanks?! Considering he saw the exact same thing a few weeks before... He's also removed some of my moles which was fine. I also told him about some new/mishapen/miscolored moles that I had but he didn't want to remove them.... I have also seen him at least twice about excessive perspiration. He suggested botox shots but was terrible about the follow up and I haven't gotten in touch with him since. I guess its just good to see him if you need the quick appointment and you already know what's wrong.
31 Years Experience
State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1987
Kaleida Health System
Dr. Mark S Amster accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA HMO Blue Select
- BCBS MA HMO Blue with Managed Care Behavioral Health
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsNewton Brighton Dermatology, 280 Washington St Ste 212, Brighton, MA
Dr. Mark S Amster is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Brighton, MA.