Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Neal K Maru
Dr. Neal K Maru, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Falls Church, VA, with other offices in Alexandria, VA and Alexandria, VA (and 1 other location). He has 11 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Maru is affiliated with Roper Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Neal K Maru has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine Disorder
Showing 5 of 15
Highly intelligent and friendly at first, but needs to learn people skills. He can get very condescending and disrespectful, especially when his logic is challenged. He was very attentive at first on the first visit, but once he gets something in his mind, he will shut down and does not listen cutting me off while I was trying to explain additional information. He ordered a sleep study to evaluate the efficiency of my CPAP Sleep Apnea therapy that I’ve been doing for the past 6 years. On my second visit to have the results read, it turned out to be the most uncomfortable and confrontational visit I’ve ever had with any medical professional. He would not listen and would cut me off while I was trying to get more information about the results and the options on how to proceed. After he was done, he just dropped the papers on his desk and stormed off saying I’ll see you in two months.
Dr. Maru was not interested in treating me once he realized I did not have a sleep disorder, like he originally thought. He instead brushed off my nerve and migraine issues as "being depressed." I was originally recommended to him for my migraine and nerve issues, but it was clear after my second appointment that he is more interested in treating patients with sleep disorders. I never went to him about sleep disorders, but he turned the first visit into diagnosing disorders and ordering a sleep study. When my MRI results came back regular (no pinched nerves in neck or back) he said nothing was wrong with me and I was just depressed. His tone and demeanor was insulting and I expected better treatment from him. I am in no way depressed and he was out of line with the way he treated me.
Dr. Maru is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
11 Years Experience
Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2007
Medical University Of South Carolina
Dr. Neal K Maru accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Neal K Maru is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Falls Church, VA.