Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Theodore Loewenthal
Dr. Theodore Loewenthal, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Bloomfield, CT. He has 34 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Loewenthal is affiliated with Institute of Living Hartford Hospital's Mental Health Network, Johnson Memorial Hospital and University of Connecticut Health Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Theodore Loewenthal has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
During my visit with Dr. Loewenthal, I felt like he was listening to me, however, after bringing my prescriptions from him to my pharmacy, the pharmacist said that the medicine he gave me were contra-indicated because of other medications I was already taking. I had put them down on the office forms. The pharmacy called that day and the following day, as did I but he did not respond to the pharmacist's call or mine about whether to take the meds anyway or if there were some other more appropriate medication for me. Also on that next day I had acute abdominal distress. He never called the pharmacy and he told the secretary that he doesn't take care of acute problems and if it was that bad I should go to the emergency room. I eventually found a doctor who figured out what was wrong and will never go back to this man. For the amount of money he made from my visit the least he could do is call back the pharmacy or have someone else do it.
Dr. Loewenthal is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Institute of Living Hartford Hospital's Mental Health Network
Johnson Memorial Hospital
University of Connecticut Health Center
Day Kimball Hospital
Johnson Memorial Hospital, Stafford Springs CT
Hartford Hospital, Hartford CT
John Dempsey Hospital Of The University Of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington CT
34 Years Experience
Tufts University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Montefiore Medical Center
Dr. Theodore Loewenthal accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna CT AWH MC OA w/Pediatric Dental
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Connecticare Passage
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsTheodore L Loewenthal MD, 6 Northwestern Dr, Bloomfield, CT
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Theodore Loewenthal in this video.
Dr. Theodore Loewenthal is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Bloomfield, CT.