Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Thomas J Lavie
Dr. Thomas J Lavie, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Nashville, TN, with another office in Nashville, TN. He has 30 years of experience. His specialties include Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Lavie is affiliated with Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Thomas J Lavie has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Sleep Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 12
Within 5 minutes of my first appointment he asked if I wanted a bite of the tuna salad he was eating, told me he liked my eyes, told me I could take up to 400 mg of a medicine I'm only taking 50 mg of and it wouldn't hurt me and he scratched his back on the corner of the wall as he talked. Insane. How is he a doctor?
This ignoramus diagnosed me as having a psychosomatic problem EVEN WHEN MY EMG TESTS PROVED DEFINITIVELY IT WAS PHYSICAL! EMG studies (several) confirmed I had serious peripheral nerve loss in my legs -- even then this quack insisted it was all just in my imagination! EMG machines have no imagination, nor do leg nerves biopsied as dead. A TOTAL INCOMPETENT!
Dr. Lavie is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
30 Years Experience
Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans
Graduated in 1988
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Thomas J Lavie in this video.
Dr. Thomas J Lavie is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Nashville, TN.