Get the facts about contraceptive implants, including how they work, the benefits and risks, and what types of doctors implant them.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Menorrhagia Get the facts about menorrhagia, including the causes, symptoms, and doctors who treat it.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Valerie I Shavell
Dr. Valerie I Shavell, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Grand Rapids, MI. She has 10 years of experience. Her specialties include Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Shavell is affiliated with Henry Ford Kingswood Hospital, DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital - University Health Center and Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital. Dr. Shavell has received 3 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Valerie I Shavell has the following 2 specialties
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
Dr. Valerie I Shavell has the following 18 expertise
- Laproscopic Surgery (Laparoscopy)
- Pap Smear
- Women's Health
- Menstrual Pain
- Hysteroscopic Surgery
- Birth Control
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Pelvic Exam
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Child Birth
- Miscarriage (Recurrent)
- Assisted Reproductive Techniques
Dr. Valerie I Shavell has 2 board certified specialties
Dr. Valerie I Shavell is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 16
The Fertility Center really seems to be more focused on making money than the patients. After meeting with Dr. Shavell twice, she prescribed a series of procedures and I never saw or heard from her again. I didn't have a doctor to address my questions to, which left me feeling pretty clueless, and like my (very expensive) treatment was proceeding over the course of months without any oversight or adjustments. Dr. Shavell's manner is extremely kind and courteous... so much so that it almost seems condescending. We didn't need a shoulder to cry on; we needed information and options.
First, she is no longer located in the detroit area. I saw her at the fertility center in Grand Rapids, MI (with Drs. Dodds and Young). My first impression wasn't great, but after my second visit and with all following visits (including surgery), I really felt very well taken care of. I had a lot of questions and concerns, and she took a lot of time addressing each one. She was very comforting the day of my surgery, and called me herself (not her nurse) to check up on me the following day. She is definitely an expert in her field, and is very compassionate.
Patients' Choice Award (2014, 2015, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2015)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Shavell is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
10 Years Experience
Weill Cornell Medical College
Graduated in 2008
Wayne State University School Of Medicine
Dr. Valerie I Shavell accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- BCBS MI Blue Care Network HMO Group Enrollees
- BCBS MI PPO Plans Group Enrollees
- PriorityHealth HMO
- PriorityHealth Priority PPO
- Spectrum Health
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsThe Fertility Center, 3230 Eagle Park Dr NE Ste 100, Grand Rapids, MI
Dr. Valerie I Shavell is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Grand Rapids, MI.