Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle, MD
Upper East Side
535 E 70th St
New York, NY 10021
212-606-1000
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Thankful! :-)  |  show details
by Esther Miller on Dec 13th, 2013

Dr. Della Valle was able to squeeze me in when another doctor was not able to help me, but made the call. I traveled by bus from Maine, searching for answers as to why I have had so much pain since my original hip replacement in January 2013. Dr. Della Valle was extremely professional, made me feel at ease, put me through a variety of physical tests, did x-rays and was able to give me an answer as to why I was having so much pain. There was no pressure to commit to a revision surgery and full understanding of the need to take time and work out details as to what my decision will be in the near future. His staff was extremely helpful and polite.

by Phyllis P on Sep 21st, 2013

Dr. Della Valle is the BEST REVISION SURGEON in the area. I had a hip replacement 2.5 years before seeing Dr. Della Valle. Although I continued to have pain, slowly decreasing leg length, and increasing distortion of my walk on that side, my original doctor kept telling me that everything was fine. On my husband's insistence (I didn't want anything to do with doctors yet again) I saw Dr. Della Valle. We did have to wait since he was working on an emergency, but the staff made sure we would be seen asap. The doctor knew immediately what was wrong. He insisted revision surgery needed to be done quickly before any more damage was done internally. Surgery went very well, the incision repair is a neat as a pin (unlike the previous one), surgery pain was minimal, and especially the pain of 2.5 years is completely gone! I needed his skills. Revision replacement cannot be done by every doctor. If you have a revision issue you can't do better than Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle.

|  Goes the extra mile!  |  show details
by Sharon P. on Jul 29th, 2013

I had a hip replacement and this doctor was outstanding. When I came home after my hospital stay, my hip dislocated and I had to get to the emergency room at New York Hospital. At this time, Katrina hit and all the energy went out in hospitals on the east side below 68th st. My doctor hoped I would be able to get to his office before going to the overcrowded ER but I was in too much pain. We were in touch and when the office closed at 5pm, I was told he would be there to see me first thing in the morning. Shortly after ex-rays of my hip, I was lying on the bed in the hallway and it was two hours later than my last talk with my doc. I looked up and there he was to take care of me. He said I was his patient and he wanted to help me. He asked for my trust in him to remain limber so he could fix me. I made believe I was floating in a pool and he flipped my hip and with no pain it went into the socket. He is just a wonderful doctor and an outstanding person.

|  Thank you!  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2013

I am an orthopaedic surgeon practicing in Washington DC for 23 years. When my mother needed a knee replacement, I took her to HSS and to Dr. Della Valle. Enough said.

|  J.B. - HIP REPLACEMENT PATIENT  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2013

My experience with the doctor and the office was very positive. When I was told I needed a hip replacement, I saw three surgeons before deciding for Dr. Della Valle. He made me feel very comfortable, answered all my questions, he was caring and very professional. I stayed in the hospital two days before going to rehab. My incision was small, clean and all the nurses in rehab complemented it. I recovered faster than I expected. No more pain! I already recommended him to two friends.

|  Great Experience  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2013

Dr. Della Valle performed my hip replacement last April. I was referred to him by a friend who had a great experience at HSS. He is specially qualified to handle unique and complex cases like mine. I had been to other doctors who due to my young age (under 30) were perplexed by my situation and made me feel very uncomfortable and like my issue was not resolvable; Dr. Della Valle was very informative, told me the bottom line and we established an action plan. Though he's is not a warm and fuzzy type--he is busy and very concise, but his style was respectful and professional. After the surgery he came to check in on me every night I was in the hospital. In addition HSS is one of the best hospitals in the world, very clean, pleasant and knowledgeable staff, they make you feel at ease. His receptionist at that time was terrible though (Veronica), needs to improve her communication and I constantly had to stay on her case for paperwork. Despite that I would highly recommend Dr. Della Valle!

Feb 22nd, 2013

Never even got to meet Dr. Office receptionist appeared to have an attitude Kept me on hold several minutes and very abrupt with response I work in this field and was very surprised by the lack if professionalism from a world renowned organization Will look else where

by Jeannette Edelstein on Feb 13th, 2013

De Della Valle for me is the best and saved my life of pain and got the proper diagnosis for my hip replacement. I love him and would reccommend him to anyone

|  Knee Replacement surgery  |  show details
Nov 10th, 2012

I had knee replacement surgery with Dr. Della Valle on 9/5/12. The surgery was a complete success. After 3 weeks, I was walking without a cane and did not have any pain. By the 4th week, I was driving and my life was almost back to normal. I give credit to Dr. Della Valle and the physical therapy team for my prompt recovery. HSS is the best place to undergo surgery.

|  Mr.Thomas Heisler  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2012

Dr Della Valle recently (August 31st) performed a total Knee replacement and at this poit (almost 7 weeks)I am set to attempt a round of golf today. I(and my physical therapy location) have been so impressed with my recovery thusfar, that the facility is know recomending the doctor to those clients who require a doctor to perform a TKR.. I cannot bemore pleased

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Oct 7th, 2012

I love Dr. Della Valle. He is the tops in hs profession. He has given me a new life. My bilateral knee replacement surgery was made as easy as it is possible to be. Almost painless, and recovery almost complete in 8 weeks. I know everyone's recovery is different and I can only speak of my own experience, but my experience was excellent.

|  Excellent Doctor, staff & hospital  |  show details
Oct 3rd, 2012

My entire experience, a left total hip replacement, with Dr. Della Valle from getting my 1st appointment to my surgical aftercare has been nothing but a pleasent experience. Both my wife & I are 30 year medical professionals, so we've seen the full range of caregivers from the professional to the quack. We found Dr. Della Valle & his staff to be professional, competent, and above all, very caring. Try as we might, we honestly could not find anything negative in our experience with either Dr. Delle Valle or his staff. The Hospital for Special Surgery, where Dr. Della Valle did my surgery is rated # 1 for orthopedic surgery, and nothing on their side of things took away from that rating. Overall, it was an excellent experience for my family, and myself, and I highly recommend Dr. Della Valle and the HSS to anyone needing a total hip replacement.

Sep 25th, 2012

I consulted Dr. Della Valle for avascular necrosis of both hips due transplant medication. Dr. Della Valle did not pressure me to have the surgery, but guided me on whether surgery was the best option. I did opted for surgery on both hips. Dr. Della Valle did both THR and my recovery was faster than I expected. Richard T

Sep 24th, 2012

Dr. Della Valle was recommended to me by a patient who had his 3rd hip operation. He had his origional surgery and revision (there was a problem with the initial surgery & the revision didn't correct it) in another location and with another doctor. The patient was in pain and unable to walk. He saw Dr. Della Valle and long story short, he is now pain free and walking. That was the best recommendation I could have received. Dr. Della Valle took all the time my wife and I needed and answered all our questions fully. Long story short, I am now 10 days post surgery and I am walking with a cane & can do stairs. I am a totally different person. Dr. Della Valle, my wife and I cannot thank you enough.Sincerely,George Kane

Sep 19th, 2012

If you have a complex problem, this is not the person to see. He does not appreciate patients with questions. Extremely arrogant.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Sep 5th, 2012

Dr Gonzalez Della Valle diagnosed and operated on my mom this year April 2012 for Total knee Replacement. It was from beggining to end a very good experience. Both the hospital and Dr kept us well-informed as to what needed to be done and what to expect prior and post surgery. It was a blessing to have my mom taken care of by HSS and Dr Gonzalez Della Vale. I would highly recommend HSS - Hospital for Special Services and Dr. Gonzale Della Valle for total knee replacement.

|  Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2012

I only have praises for Dr. Della Valle. Six years ago I needed a complete hip replacement, Dr. Della Valle was my surgeon.Never had a pain after surgery, it was likea miracle to be able to walk without pain. Seven weeks ago I had the other hip changed.Again, Dr. Della Valle was there for me, walking a little the same day of surgery. Both hips are in perfect condition.

Aug 2nd, 2012

I had meet with many of the top Surgeons at the Hosiptal for Special Surgery in addition to some surgeons at Lenox Hill Hosiptal, I found it difficult to select any of these surgeons I was recomended to see Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle at the Hosital for Special Surgery, I expained in detail my concerns especially I was active and along with other concerns, he immediatley put me at ease and showed me his concerns and bed side manners. He has a special gift in his personality.I made my decision to have Dr. Gonzalez to perform the Surgery on my Right Hip Replacement and needless to say he perform an excellent operation and had me walking the next day after of surgeryIt is now 3 Months after the operation and im doing very well I would suggest him to anyone.Ralph Mercogliano

|  A Lifesaver!  |  show details
Jul 26th, 2012

I spend 10 months a year in the Caribbean and was in pain for almost 3 years. Doctors just did not diagnose my problem. My friend insisted I go to HSS and we choose Dr. Della Valle to do my hip replacement. I had my first hip replacement in Sept. of 2010. The hospital, staff, everyone were amazing! Everything went like clockwork and I walked out of rehab hospital on a cane. My 2nd hip took place in April of 2011 and again went like clockwork. Dr. Della Valle has a special talent with patients, kind, smiling and just plain nice. I was very lucky that I went to HSS and had him as my surgeon.

|  Smart Doctor  |  show details
Jul 26th, 2012

So, I come to Dr. Della Valle in March of 2012, after having suffered for over a year with a Total Hip Replacement that had been done incorrectly at another hospital. I was in pain everywhere (in all my other joints and back) because of the way I had been compensating while walking. I thought my life was over, as I am a very active 45 year old who loves to practice yoga and walk lots of miles a day. Dr. Della Valle does x rays and a thorough evaluation, and says, "I can help you." He explained what the problem was, booked me for surgery as soon as he could fit me in, and...he FIXED me!I am still in shock and full of gratitude, as my legs are now the same length, I have no pain, and I am already back to yoga and walking. I can see why Dr. Della Valle is everyone's favorite. He tells it like it is, and to me, his knowledge and talent as a surgeon are unsurpassable! I believe he is a Miracle Worker! Not to mention the girls in the office! They are friendly, kind, respectful,and patient! All of them!And the difference between The Hospital For Special Surgeries and the hospital where I had my first surgery actually blew my mind. NO comparison. Everything from the thorough pre-surgical testing, to my visit with Dr. Warschaeur, who by the way I also must mention because of his terrific bedside manner - I literally was scared out of my mind, and he calmly distracted me by discussing dogs...my favorite. How did he know?!?I can not thank Dr. Della Valle enough, nor recommend him highly enough. Dr. Della Valle and Hospital For Special Surgeries are the ONLY way to go when it comes to a joint replacement! Thank you all! Elisabeth Callahan Mystic, CT

Jul 19th, 2012

Dr. Della Valle is an excellent surgeon. He performed a total hip replacement on me and my recovery was remarkable and uneventful. I am more than satisfied with him and I highly recommend him.

|  Terrific  |  show details
May 29th, 2012

Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle examination of my knee was the most thorough I have ever had.The Doctor recently performed a knee replacement on me and I am feeling great and back to my regular activities. TheDoctor was terrific.

|  Saved My Life  |  show details
May 27th, 2012

I am 53 years old and have suffered with severe RA for 8 years. Prior to bi-laternal knee replacement I couldn't get out of a chair, but within one month after my surgery I was walking without canes. As it turns out, in the operating room, Dr. Della Valle discovered my knees were so deteriorated that I required cutting edge knowledge and advanced technologies, both of which he delivered.He transformed my life.He is a warm, happy, personable individual with a kind disposition - always smiling. Add that to the fact that he is without question a brillient surgeon and diagnostician to whom I will be eternally grateful.

|  Partial left knee replacement  |  show details
May 20th, 2012

If I could give 5 stars, I would definitely do it.Dr Gonzalez della Valle was more than excellent and extremely personable.I can highly recommend him without any hesitationHans Vandermeer, Ridgewood NJ

May 16th, 2012

My experience from diagnosis, surgery and outstanding results of my double knee surgery was excellent. I'm highly recommending Dr. Della Valle to relatives and friends considering orthopaedic surgery.

Apr 25th, 2012

Dr Della Valle is most professional and makes you feel very comfortable. I can not recommend him too highly. I have already referred 3 close friends to him. In addition to his being a great doctor, he is a nice man!

Apr 24th, 2012

I had an excellent experience. I had so much preop pain that I could barely walk. I had some post op pain after the bilateral knee replacement but much less. The surgery went smoothly and no rehab problems. I returned to working 10 hr shifts as a nurse in 10 weeks. Everything was explained pre and post op. Dr. Della Valle has a great bedside manner and was very honest about the possible complications during the surgery. Tankfully I did not have any. I should have had the surgery years before. I have reccommended him to many friends and patients where I work. Another plus is he is pleasing to the eyes

|  Exceeded all expectatioins  |  show details
Sep 8th, 2011

I'll keep this simple: Dr. Della Valle is an outstanding surgeon working in an outstanding hospital. My local PT has never seen anyone recover as well or as quickly from a total hip replacement as I have over the first two weeks following surgery.

|  A Fantastic Surgeon!  |  show details
by Philip Bednarski on Jul 5th, 2010

Dr Della Vale is a true artist. The visiting nurse up here in CT never saw such clean and neat incision for a hip replacement!I am completely thrilled with the (early) results!

|  All stars from the horizon for doctor Della Valle  |  show details
by TMS on Jun 18th, 2010

This doctor is listening to you when you talk, answers your questions and concerns, explains in detail about the proceedure even drawing the picture, the comfort you feel when he talks to you it's amazing, A VERY VERY skilled surgeon, he saved my leg after two bad surgeries done before I met Doctor Della Valle, and the most of all he is very humble person which is rare these days with doctors, I am thankful for each day of my life that I still have my leg and can walk.

|  Total Hip Replacement  |  show details
by D Esposito on Apr 29th, 2010

I had a total right hip relacement. I was walking in a few days and in 4 weeks I was walking better than ever.After the 5th week I had a lot of flexibility and was healed the equivalent of 3 months compared to others I knew who had it done by other doctors.I am at 4 months and I can tie my own shoes, walk up and down subway stairs, stroll long distances and sit several hours without a problem.I didn't even require any sort of rehabilitation. I just walked and did a little stationary biking, emphasis on little.This doctor worked a miracle for me.

|  Wonderful Physician  |  show details
by Jose C. Barros on Mar 14th, 2010

Dr. Della Valle is a wonderful professional and an extremely caring physician. He was very courteous and attentntive and took time to explain my TKR surgery on both knees to full detail. He was equally as courteous to those family members who accompanied me to all my visits. Due to the fact that I don't speak English fluently, Dr. Della Valle would often review all his comments in the Spanish language (similar to Portuguese) and verify that way that I was completely aware of what my procedure entailed. Excellent doctor, wonderful person, truly a rare find!

|  Paperwork for Surgery was Immensely Unprofessional!  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2010

My mother was scheduled to receive surgery through Dr. Della Valle for her knee. Twice, that's right, twice, she did not receive papers from the office for her pre-surgical appointments and consultations. We had to call in twice and inform the staff of this mistake. An apology was never given. It's very disconcerting to get surgery from someone whose staff is so unorganized and unprofessional. I did not expect this from HSS. You would be better advised in going to another doctor.

|  Great doctor with terrific patient care  |  show details
by Ken Rilander on Dec 20th, 2009

I had a complete hip replacement and feel like nothing was ever wrong with me.The doctor has great attention to deal and is a warm and caring physician.He also cared for my ailing father in his 90s and improved the quality of his life.

by John R. Sanchez on Dec 5th, 2009

I AM ONE OF HIS PATIENTS AND I AM THRILLED THAT HE WAS THE ONE WHO GAVE A NEW HIP REPLACEMENT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ADJECTIVES IN THE DICTIONARY TO DESCRIBE MY FEELINGS FOR DR.DELLA VALLE.

|  Alice Thor Pianfetti, Ph.D.  |  show details
by Alice Thor Pianfetti, Ph.D. on Nov 21st, 2009

Dr. Della Valle is a superb surgeon and an extraordinary human being!

|  Knowledgeable/ Respectful/ Caring  |  show details
May 3rd, 2009

Dr. Delle Valle performed my total knee replacement in March 2009 at HSS. His diagnosis, treatment & rehabilitative suggestions were on target. He is a wonderful doctor, very postive experience.

|  Very professional and doesn't over-promise  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2009

Had a very good experience with a hip replacement. He's an excellent doctor!

Jan 18th, 2009

My expecience with the doctor in his office and during the recovery from surgery was terrific.