Some ratings provided by DrScore.
mediocre at best show details mediocre at best
by Very unhappy patient on May 2nd, 2016

How he got accepted at this hospital is a mystery, Had to have revision surgery elsewhere and still in pain.

Gave average rating for spending time with me but I understand that the Dr is very busy and the staff more than made up for that. show details Gave average rating for spending time with me but I understand that the Dr is very busy and the staff more than made up for that.
by Michael Biele on Mar 1st, 2016

Overall very pleased I feel that the reward is greater than the risk. Not knowing any better I feel that I am coming along nicely.

by ELIECER HERSKOVIC on Jan 25th, 2016

Very satisfied with Dr. Della Valle and his staff. Very professional

by Richard and Susan Stockman on Jan 18th, 2016

A wonderful doctor and person! He is extremely kind, professional and compassionate.

Nov 30th, 2015

Awesome dr

Nov 18th, 2015

Took to Dr. Della Valle right away. Gained my trust quickly. Very professional & listened to everything I said. He will be doing my surgery soon

Nov 17th, 2015

Good surgeon!

by Maria on Nov 13th, 2015

I agree with all the positive feedback provided by patients. I saw Dr. Della Valle November, 2015 for the first time. I have hip arthritis and in the past had 3 hip scopes due to tears...I needed a doctor who can follow up my hip condition moving forward and his reviews guided me to making the decision to see him. I definitely recommend Dr. Della Valle and would consider him for any procedure I may need in the future. He is very kind, patient and does not rush you at all. Felt at ease. His staff extremely nice.

Knee surgery show details Knee surgery
by Patricia K. on Oct 3rd, 2015

Great experience with my knee replacement. I am very happy that I chose him.

by Barbara Valentino on Sep 13th, 2015

I met with Dr. Della Valle for a consultation and exam regarding a hip replacement and I found him to be very sincere and genuine. He also explained on my Xray what and where the problem was on my right hip. His diagnosis was accurate and easy to understand. He was kind, understanding and professional in every way. When I am ready to have the hip surgery, I will definitely choose Dr. Della Valle to do the surgery, also, his Physician assistant was very good and professional. Good experience all around.

Knee replacement show details Knee replacement
Aug 27th, 2015

Great experience with my knee replacement from booking surgery to recovery. He runs a very organize practice. The staff is friendy. Hope, his surgical coordinator, is exceptional.

Rheumatoid arthritis show details Rheumatoid arthritis
by Maria Giancovelli on Aug 27th, 2015

I have rheumatoid arthritis and lived with joint pain for as long as I remember. I have been a patient of Dr. Della Valle's since 2005. He is knowledgeable and caring, he always listened and spent time with me. His office staff is very good. I had my right knee replacement in 2005, my left knee in 2008, and both hips replaced a year ago (all by him). He came to the hospital to visit me on a Saturday. I don't think I can say that about many doctors in NYC! I am so happy with him! I have recommeded him to many of my frinends. Even if there is a wait sometimes in his office, it is well worth it.

Aug 24th, 2015

My first appointment for hip replacement went great! Staff friendly and efficient. I went to the appointment prepared to wait, but was pleasantly surprised that his office runs so well that I didn't wait long at all…I set my surgery date without a hitch….can't wait! And by the way I loved Dr Della Valle!

Excellent! show details Excellent!
Jul 20th, 2015

Excellent Surgeon! The level of care from Dr. Della Valle and his entire staff is exceptional!

Third opinion show details Third opinion
by Tom DP on Jul 20th, 2015

Dr. Della Valle was the third surgeon I interviewed in HSS for my hip replacement. I knew he was the one right away. He was calm, looked very confident, LISTENED TO ME, and did not rush. I had my surgery with him four months ago. I am a new man, playing 18 holes of golf twice a week. LOOK NO FURTHER.

Flew from California to see him. show details Flew from California to see him.
by Melinda Rothchild on Jul 20th, 2015

Dr. Della Valle has given me outstanding care. I flew from California to see him for a hip replacement revision. My first impression was very positive. He was patient, listened to me and gave me plenty of time to ask questions. He did my surgery two weeks later. Everything went exactly as he predicted. He visited me in the hospital every day and had the best bedside manners. I couldn't have chosen a better doctor. I highly recommended him. Hope, his surgical coordinator was terrific.

Back to playing tennis! show details Back to playing tennis!
by Martyha G - Westchester on May 10th, 2015

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Dr. Della Valle did arthroscopic surgery on my knee 6 weeks ago. Now, I am back to playing tennis in warm weather, and PAIN FREE! I cannot be happier. Excellent surgeon, hospital and staff.

Five stars show details Five stars
by Gloria Di Domenico on Mar 20th, 2015

He did my hip 2 months ago. I cannot be happier.

Thank you Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle show details Thank you Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle
by Maria Kaczorowski on Mar 3rd, 2015

Dr. Della Valle has saved me from a debilitating disease (avascular necrosis in my hips) that used to cause severe pain, inability to walk, work and lead a normal life. He performed two hip replacement surgeries on me and, literally, gave me my life back. I'm doing great now, to the point I almost forgot how miserable my life used to be before Dr. Della Valle helped me. I have utmost respect for the doctor, I am eternally grateful and I highly recommend him. I am also grateful to his great and friendly staff.

Jan 17th, 2015

I saw him for a second opinion and I realized he was the one. Professional, caring, a gentleman. He did my knee replacement. I cannot be happier.

Terrible Experience with this doctor. show details Terrible Experience with this doctor.
by Broken Wing on Nov 18th, 2014

I've seen many surgeons during my time on this good Earth and this one is one of the very worst I've ever been to. He is cold, uncaring, disheartening, and will only do surgery on a person if they are 100% healthy. If anything is wrong, he refuses to do surgery on you because it will bring down the hospitals rating. Sickening. Don't waste your time. I wasted 3 months for my appointment with him to have him not explain, not care, and not do a thing for me, also costing me a fortune to go see him. Save your $ and time.

Total hip replacement show details Total hip replacement
Oct 18th, 2014

Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle's expertise provided an accurate diagnosis and an uncomplicated, skilled surgery. Additionally, his courteous, caring and patient manner allowed me to feel free to ask many questions and put natural nervousness prior to surgery at ease. His follow-up care was exceptional and his accurate and decisive responses helped me through some health complications unrelated to the actual hip replacement. He is an exceptional doctor and well deserves the high commendations he has received.

Excellent Experience show details Excellent Experience
Jan 26th, 2014

I went to Dr. Della Valle for a total hip replacement on short notice after I had to cancel the procedure with another surgeon due to a last minute insurance issue. Less than three weeks elapsed from my first telephone call to Dr. Della Valle’s office until the date of the surgery. His staff was professional, courteous, efficient, and accommodating. Two months later, Dr. Della Valle replaced my other hip. A year later, I feel wonderful beyond all expectations. What I most appreciate about Dr. Della Valle – in addition to his surgical skills – is his bedside manner and the fact that he personally visited me each day during my stay at the hospital, except for the day of discharge. While I assumed that all surgeons personally made the hospital rounds to check-up on their patients, I have read and heard from other people that they did not see their surgeon from immediately after the surgery until the first follow-up visit six weeks later and indeed, the surgeon that I had initially selected told me to expect just that. Dr. Della Valle, in contrast, personally visited me several times after each surgery, both on his own and with his residents from Cornell Weil Medical College. In short, Dr. Della Valle is a excellent surgeon and a very nice person.

Unique individual - Great surgeon show details Unique individual - Great surgeon
by A. M. Vandebilt on Oct 20th, 2013

Dr. Della Valle did my knee replacement 6 months ago. Before deciding for him, I consulted five other highly qualified surgeons. I felt very comfortable with him from the very beginning. He answered all my questions, he did not rush me into having surgery and gave me a very balanced explanation of my goals for recovery (not like three other HSS surgeons I saw before him!). My incision was short and very neat (praised by my visiting nurse and therapist). My recovery was much faster that I anticipated. I had a terrific experience with him. Without a doubt, he is one of the best out there...

by Phyllis P on Sep 21st, 2013

Dr. Della Valle is the BEST REVISION SURGEON in the area. I had a hip replacement 2.5 years before seeing Dr. Della Valle. Although I continued to have pain, slowly decreasing leg length, and increasing distortion of my walk on that side, my original doctor kept telling me that everything was fine. On my husband's insistence (I didn't want anything to do with doctors yet again) I saw Dr. Della Valle. We did have to wait since he was working on an emergency, but the staff made sure we would be seen asap. The doctor knew immediately what was wrong. He insisted revision surgery needed to be done quickly before any more damage was done internally. Surgery went very well, the incision repair is a neat as a pin (unlike the previous one), surgery pain was minimal, and especially the pain of 2.5 years is completely gone! I needed his skills. Revision replacement cannot be done by every doctor. If you have a revision issue you can't do better than Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle.

Goes the extra mile! show details Goes the extra mile!
by Sharon P. on Jul 29th, 2013

I had a hip replacement and this doctor was outstanding. When I came home after my hospital stay, my hip dislocated and I had to get to the emergency room at New York Hospital. At this time, Katrina hit and all the energy went out in hospitals on the east side below 68th st. My doctor hoped I would be able to get to his office before going to the overcrowded ER but I was in too much pain. We were in touch and when the office closed at 5pm, I was told he would be there to see me first thing in the morning. Shortly after ex-rays of my hip, I was lying on the bed in the hallway and it was two hours later than my last talk with my doc. I looked up and there he was to take care of me. He said I was his patient and he wanted to help me. He asked for my trust in him to remain limber so he could fix me. I made believe I was floating in a pool and he flipped my hip and with no pain it went into the socket. He is just a wonderful doctor and an outstanding person.

Don't Believe Everything You Read show details Don't Believe Everything You Read
by niki on May 13th, 2013

You want attitude, You want some one who could care less, book this doctor asap. I am sure he is skillful & most likely brilliant but caring & easy to communicate with. NO way.

J.B. - HIP REPLACEMENT PATIENT show details J.B. - HIP REPLACEMENT PATIENT
Mar 24th, 2013

My experience with the doctor and the office was very positive. When I was told I needed a hip replacement, I saw three surgeons before deciding for Dr. Della Valle. He made me feel very comfortable, answered all my questions, he was caring and very professional. I stayed in the hospital two days before going to rehab. My incision was small, clean and all the nurses in rehab complemented it. I recovered faster than I expected. No more pain! I already recommended him to two friends.

Great Experience show details Great Experience
Mar 9th, 2013

Dr. Della Valle performed my hip replacement last April. I was referred to him by a friend who had a great experience at HSS. He is specially qualified to handle unique and complex cases like mine. I had been to other doctors who due to my young age (under 30) were perplexed by my situation and made me feel very uncomfortable and like my issue was not resolvable; Dr. Della Valle was very informative, told me the bottom line and we established an action plan. Though he's is not a warm and fuzzy type--he is busy and very concise, but his style was respectful and professional. After the surgery he came to check in on me every night I was in the hospital. In addition HSS is one of the best hospitals in the world, very clean, pleasant and knowledgeable staff, they make you feel at ease. His receptionist at that time was terrible though (Veronica), needs to improve her communication and I constantly had to stay on her case for paperwork. Despite that I would highly recommend Dr. Della Valle!

Feb 22nd, 2013

Never even got to meet Dr. Office receptionist appeared to have an attitude Kept me on hold several minutes and very abrupt with response I work in this field and was very surprised by the lack if professionalism from a world renowned organization Will look else where

Mark as Helpful  | 12 people found this helpful Report Abuse
by Jeannette Edelstein on Feb 13th, 2013

De Della Valle for me is the best and saved my life of pain and got the proper diagnosis for my hip replacement. I love him and would reccommend him to anyone

Simply The Best show details Simply The Best
Dec 1st, 2012

Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle did my knee replacement a year ago. Since then he has operated on three of my friends (hip replacement, knee replacement and knee scope). My experience with him and his staff was terrific. He spent time with me, listened to my complaints and concerns. Needless to say: the preparation for surgery, hospital stay and outcome of surgery were beyond what I had expected. He is an outstanding man and doctor. I highly recommed him.

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
Oct 7th, 2012

I love Dr. Della Valle. He is the tops in hs profession. He has given me a new life. My bilateral knee replacement surgery was made as easy as it is possible to be. Almost painless, and recovery almost complete in 8 weeks. I know everyone's recovery is different and I can only speak of my own experience, but my experience was excellent.

Excellent Doctor, staff & hospital show details Excellent Doctor, staff & hospital
Oct 3rd, 2012

My entire experience, a left total hip replacement, with Dr. Della Valle from getting my 1st appointment to my surgical aftercare has been nothing but a pleasent experience. Both my wife & I are 30 year medical professionals, so we've seen the full range of caregivers from the professional to the quack. We found Dr. Della Valle & his staff to be professional, competent, and above all, very caring. Try as we might, we honestly could not find anything negative in our experience with either Dr. Delle Valle or his staff. The Hospital for Special Surgery, where Dr. Della Valle did my surgery is rated # 1 for orthopedic surgery, and nothing on their side of things took away from that rating. Overall, it was an excellent experience for my family, and myself, and I highly recommend Dr. Della Valle and the HSS to anyone needing a total hip replacement.

Sep 19th, 2012

If you have a complex problem, this is not the person to see. He does not appreciate patients with questions. Extremely arrogant.

Mark as Helpful  | 15 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle show details Dr. Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle
Aug 27th, 2012

I only have praises for Dr. Della Valle. Six years ago I needed a complete hip replacement, Dr. Della Valle was my surgeon.Never had a pain after surgery, it was likea miracle to be able to walk without pain. Seven weeks ago I had the other hip changed.Again, Dr. Della Valle was there for me, walking a little the same day of surgery. Both hips are in perfect condition.

Jul 19th, 2012

Dr. Della Valle is an excellent surgeon. He performed a total hip replacement on me and my recovery was remarkable and uneventful. I am more than satisfied with him and I highly recommend him.

Terrific show details Terrific
May 29th, 2012

Dr. Gonzalez Della Valle examination of my knee was the most thorough I have ever had.The Doctor recently performed a knee replacement on me and I am feeling great and back to my regular activities. TheDoctor was terrific.

Saved My Life show details Saved My Life
May 27th, 2012

I am 53 years old and have suffered with severe RA for 8 years. Prior to bi-laternal knee replacement I couldn't get out of a chair, but within one month after my surgery I was walking without canes. As it turns out, in the operating room, Dr. Della Valle discovered my knees were so deteriorated that I required cutting edge knowledge and advanced technologies, both of which he delivered.He transformed my life.He is a warm, happy, personable individual with a kind disposition - always smiling. Add that to the fact that he is without question a brillient surgeon and diagnostician to whom I will be eternally grateful.

May 16th, 2012

My experience from diagnosis, surgery and outstanding results of my double knee surgery was excellent. I'm highly recommending Dr. Della Valle to relatives and friends considering orthopaedic surgery.

Apr 25th, 2012

Dr Della Valle is most professional and makes you feel very comfortable. I can not recommend him too highly. I have already referred 3 close friends to him. In addition to his being a great doctor, he is a nice man!

Apr 24th, 2012

I had an excellent experience. I had so much preop pain that I could barely walk. I had some post op pain after the bilateral knee replacement but much less. The surgery went smoothly and no rehab problems. I returned to working 10 hr shifts as a nurse in 10 weeks. Everything was explained pre and post op. Dr. Della Valle has a great bedside manner and was very honest about the possible complications during the surgery. Tankfully I did not have any. I should have had the surgery years before. I have reccommended him to many friends and patients where I work. Another plus is he is pleasing to the eyes

Exceeded all expectatioins show details Exceeded all expectatioins
Sep 8th, 2011

I'll keep this simple: Dr. Della Valle is an outstanding surgeon working in an outstanding hospital. My local PT has never seen anyone recover as well or as quickly from a total hip replacement as I have over the first two weeks following surgery.

A Fantastic Surgeon! show details A Fantastic Surgeon!
by Philip Bednarski on Jul 5th, 2010

Dr Della Vale is a true artist. The visiting nurse up here in CT never saw such clean and neat incision for a hip replacement!I am completely thrilled with the (early) results!

All stars from the horizon for doctor Della Valle show details All stars from the horizon for doctor Della Valle
by TMS on Jun 18th, 2010

This doctor is listening to you when you talk, answers your questions and concerns, explains in detail about the proceedure even drawing the picture, the comfort you feel when he talks to you it's amazing, A VERY VERY skilled surgeon, he saved my leg after two bad surgeries done before I met Doctor Della Valle, and the most of all he is very humble person which is rare these days with doctors, I am thankful for each day of my life that I still have my leg and can walk.

Total Hip Replacement show details Total Hip Replacement
by D Esposito on Apr 29th, 2010

I had a total right hip relacement. I was walking in a few days and in 4 weeks I was walking better than ever.After the 5th week I had a lot of flexibility and was healed the equivalent of 3 months compared to others I knew who had it done by other doctors.I am at 4 months and I can tie my own shoes, walk up and down subway stairs, stroll long distances and sit several hours without a problem.I didn't even require any sort of rehabilitation. I just walked and did a little stationary biking, emphasis on little.This doctor worked a miracle for me.

Wonderful Physician show details Wonderful Physician
by Jose C. Barros on Mar 14th, 2010

Dr. Della Valle is a wonderful professional and an extremely caring physician. He was very courteous and attentntive and took time to explain my TKR surgery on both knees to full detail. He was equally as courteous to those family members who accompanied me to all my visits. Due to the fact that I don't speak English fluently, Dr. Della Valle would often review all his comments in the Spanish language (similar to Portuguese) and verify that way that I was completely aware of what my procedure entailed. Excellent doctor, wonderful person, truly a rare find!

Paperwork for Surgery was Immensely Unprofessional! show details Paperwork for Surgery was Immensely Unprofessional!
Jan 12th, 2010

My mother was scheduled to receive surgery through Dr. Della Valle for her knee. Twice, that's right, twice, she did not receive papers from the office for her pre-surgical appointments and consultations. We had to call in twice and inform the staff of this mistake. An apology was never given. It's very disconcerting to get surgery from someone whose staff is so unorganized and unprofessional. I did not expect this from HSS. You would be better advised in going to another doctor.

Great doctor with terrific patient care show details Great doctor with terrific patient care
by Ken Rilander on Dec 20th, 2009

I had a complete hip replacement and feel like nothing was ever wrong with me.The doctor has great attention to deal and is a warm and caring physician.He also cared for my ailing father in his 90s and improved the quality of his life.

by John R. Sanchez on Dec 5th, 2009

I AM ONE OF HIS PATIENTS AND I AM THRILLED THAT HE WAS THE ONE WHO GAVE A NEW HIP REPLACEMENT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ADJECTIVES IN THE DICTIONARY TO DESCRIBE MY FEELINGS FOR DR.DELLA VALLE.

Alice Thor Pianfetti, Ph.D. show details Alice Thor Pianfetti, Ph.D.
by Alice Thor Pianfetti, Ph.D. on Nov 21st, 2009

Dr. Della Valle is a superb surgeon and an extraordinary human being!

Very professional and doesn't over-promise show details Very professional and doesn't over-promise
Feb 16th, 2009

Had a very good experience with a hip replacement. He's an excellent doctor!

Jan 18th, 2009

My expecience with the doctor in his office and during the recovery from surgery was terrific.