Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Lea Ann Neff, Boonville, IN on May 29th, 2015

Dr. Weinzapfel operated on my stenosis condition last spring, and I am very pleased with the results. He repaired my L4-L5 vertebrae and , I am completely recovered from my "drop foot" situation. Clear explanations were given, and I would recommend my Doctor as exemplary.

Highly Recommend!!!!! show details Highly Recommend!!!!!
by Elizabeth Bare on Feb 13th, 2015

In Nov 2014 Dr. Weinzapfel performed a back surgery on me. I was experiencing low back pain that had over time caused numbness in my left leg and foot. My "issue" had lasted the better part of a year and a half and progressively got worse the last few months prior to surgery. I went through the whole process... medication, physical therapy, and injections. When you mention back surgery at the mere age of 35, most people tell you all negative and terrible things that "could" happen. I took three different medications and nothing eased my pain and my sleeping became difficult. Eventually my foot became numb and I started favoring my right side and had a limp to my walk. I was encouraged by Dr. Franklin the next step was the injections and that they could help or not help things. I figured it was worth a try or two. Neither shot did anything and in the end it cost me more out of pocket for the two shots then my surgery cost me. I decided to pursue the next step and see Dr. Weinzapfel. During my first visit with Dr. Weinzapfel and his PA Bethany, they were all very informative on what would take place and what to expect. They never rushed me out of the office or made me feel obligated to have surgery. The day of surgery Bethany came in before the procedure to answer any final questions or concerns for me or my family. The surgery went GREAT! After it was over, the staff at St. Mary's hospital treated me excellent. My post op appointment everything was healing as it was supposed to. The tube that was used to perform my surgery through was a 14mm Metrx tube. Dr. W used a microscope to work through the tube and push my disc back into place. The incision was very small maybe 1/2-1" in my lower back. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Weinzapfel and his staff!!!! I have felt amazing since the day after surgery. Wish I would have done it months ago and bypassed the injections and medications as they were a waste of time for me. I would and often do recommend him to anyone that is having back issues. THANK YOU TO YOU AND YOUR STAFF :) (Bethany, Steffney, and Calista) God Bless you all!

Life Changing show details Life Changing
by Madeleine R. on Oct 4th, 2014

In March, 2009, Dr. Weinzapfel performed an L-5 GIll laminectomy with bilateral foraminotomies - or, to most of us, back surgery, on me. I was experiencing low back pain and numbness down my right leg which was getting progressively worse. I was very impressed with Dr. Weinzapfel's office staff, his confidence in being able to help me, and especially his and his nurse, Stephanie's accessibility and willingness to answer many questions. This surgery truly changed my life! Before the surgery, my husband had to carry me piggyback sometimes, now I carry my grandchildren piggyback. Before the surgery I couldn't plan a vacation because I didn't know if I would be able to walk very far. After the surgery we have climbed to the top of the dome at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, the Duomo in Florence (800 steps), and just got back from backpacking down the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and back up the South Rim. We play golf, bike, hike and generally have very active lives. This would not have been possible for me before the surgery. It's been five years and I am still pain free in my back and legs. I would - and do often - recommend Dr. Weinzapfel to anyone with back pain. I feel very fortunate to have had such a knowledgeable, capable surgeon.

potential 2nd time patient show details potential 2nd time patient
by former patient on Sep 25th, 2014

I suffered intense stabs of pain and sciatica type pain. I evaluated surgeons as far away as Indy and the Cleveland Clinic but settled on Dr. Weinzapfel here in town. He suggested nerve damage in the 5th lumbar region and the possibilities of good success with an X-stop implant outpatient surgery. I had the surgery after physical therapy proved ineffective and pain intensified. I walked out of the hospital 3 hrs. after surgery with no nerve pain , and only minor surgery pain ..with little use for the pain meds perscribed. (that will explain the blanks in the star ratings..ie bedside manner,etc.. Alas now several years later other randomly located discs are also beginning to exhibit wear and multiple x-stops are not an option. Dr. Brett was the top choice to come to mind again...which indicates my confidence in his skills as a surgeon. I did experience a several 'hiccups' with the young office staff's efficiency on occasion but over all I rate my experience with a high degree of success.

Grateful Grandma show details Grateful Grandma
by Leslie on Jul 21st, 2014

I suffered profusely from a herniated disc. My mobility as I had known it had ceased. I no longer enjoyed any of my hobbies and was having trouble maintaining my employment. I was hopeless. I was referred to Dr. Weinzapfel by my family doctor. Dr. Weinzapfel and his wonderful team (Bethany and Stephanie) surgically repaired me. The doctor and his team spent time with me at each of my visits. All my questions were thoroughly answered without ever making me feel foolish for asking. I never felt rushed or insignificant. Today, I feel fabulous. I walk for fun and exercise, I am gardening, enjoying my grandchildren, and able to work. I do all this without narcotics! Thank you Dr. Weinzapfel for giving me back my life.

Good Results show details Good Results
Apr 14th, 2014

I had an ACDF in 2012. I've had great results. No pain at all since. He was very nice and explained everything and showed me everything on my mri images. I have a future appointment with him due to back pain now. I would recommend him to anyone.

Great Doctor! show details Great Doctor!
Aug 7th, 2013

I suffered nearly a year with a herniated disc that was pressing on my sciatica causing intense pain in my leg. When I visited he was willing to take as much time as possible to make sure I understood the procedure and ask as many questions as possible. He left it up to me if I wanted surgery and let me know I could call anytime with more questions. After the surgery and follow up appointments he let me know if I ever had more troubles to contact him as I would still be a patient. Excellent bed side manner and explination of procedure.

good experience show details good experience
by ckovaleski on May 6th, 2013

after a year of pain and losing my ability to walk I was referred to dr weinzapfel for consultation. I took my x rays from other sources. he told me that I had a back injury and narrowing of the spine and would eventually need surgery. he was very professional and had a lot of compassion for my condition. he told me I could lose my ability to walk eventually. he examined me and did a MRI. he explained every thing completely. he let me decide when I needed the surgery. he gained my trust completely and I consider him as a friend.

Best doctor EVER show details Best doctor EVER
Sep 4th, 2011

Dr Weinzapfel stood by me through my pain. When I had the first surgery we thought I was great. He told me after my last follow up that no matter what he was always my doctor. If something happened and I was in pain again I was to call him and we would figure it out. As it turns out within 6 months of my fusion I started having pain, he gave me several options, I choose pain management. I stuck with that for another 6-8 months and when I started having problems getting into the PM doctor I called and got an appointment within a week. In that appointment he scheduled tests and shots. After those tests and shots we scheduled a hardware removal. I am very pleased with the results. If in the future I have more back problems I will be seeing Dr Weinzapfel. He is an awesome doctor with a great bedside manner.

Jun 4th, 2010

I really appreciated my visit with Dr. Weinzapfel- he spent more then 20 minutes with me, I understood everything he described, he showed me my problem on xray and my MRI unlike my referring doctor. The office was nicely kept and staff was extremely friendly and professional.

He's Good show details He's Good
by TRACY L FELKER on May 19th, 2009

Good Bedside manner, gen nice all around