Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Fred Adams has the following 1 specialty
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
Dr. Fred Adams has the following 11 expertise
- Pap Smear
- Pelvic Exam
- Child Birth
- Birth Control
- Women's Health
- Hot Flashes
- Menstrual Pain
Showing 4 of 4
I have no problem with his reception staff, or the nurse. There were no long waits or being placed on hold forever. These, however, did not make up for the rest of my experience. Let me make this clear, first. This is NOT personal. Personally, I liked Dr. Adams. But I wasn't looking for a friend, I needed a doctor. I do not need a doctor to coddle me. I don't care if they're "all business," or give me clinical answers. I like that! As long as they take me and my medical issues seriously, I'm a happy camper. I have low progesterone during the first trimesters of my pregnancies, and because of this, I have a history of miscarriage. When I told him this, and asked him to prescribe progesterone and order blood tests to test my progesterone levels, he refused. He said there was no reason to test my progesterone levels as it was too early in the pregnancy (I was 5.5 weeks), and that there was no reason to give a pregnant woman progesterone. He said he only gave progesterone to women who were infertile and trying to conceive, but not yet pregnant. I told him I had already been spotting. He said he was going to do a pap smear and I said I had had one less than a year ago after my daughter was born, and I've never had abnormal results. I also told him I was uncomfortable with my cervix being disturbed this early in the pregnancy, since I had been spotting and had a history of miscarriage. He insisted it was fine and did the pap smear anyway. The pap smear was the most pain-free, gentle pap smear I've ever had. I barely felt it and for that I will give him credit! He ordered no blood tests at all. Not even a routine prenatal panel, even though I told him I was anemic after having my daughter via C-Section less than a year ago, and my levels had not been tested since then. He scheduled my next appointment for 6 weeks later (I would be nearly 12 weeks) and said he would do an ultrasound then. This is all fine if you're a low-risk or first time pregnancy with normal/low risk. But with someone with my history, I need my concerns to be heard. It gets worse. Six days later I woke up bleeding heavily. I called the office and was able to get an appointment for 2 hours later, which was acceptable to me. The nurse told me he'd be doing a physical exam and had me undress from the waist down. When he came in he asked if she'd given me a urine hcg test to see if the line had faded. She said no, because I was bleeding. He was a little rougher during this exam than he was for the first one. Or, it is possible, that I was more sensitive and in more pain. And now for the thing that prompted me to write this review. While he had the speculum in me, he reached up to the paper "gown" they gave me to put over my lap, ripped a piece of it off, and then proceeded to shoved it about 2 inches inside my vagina to wipe the blood away so that he could see what was going on better. This was a paper gown that had gone into the bathroom with me and was laid on their sink (as there was nowhere else to lay it), before my exam. This was NOT something sterile enough to be placed inside me at a time when I'm very vulnerable to an infection. After he was done he said that he would send me to get a blood test to check my HCG levels, and if it was positive for any, they would "scrape" me out. I have experienced loss before, and was prepared for the news my pregnancy had ended... but my heart aches thinking about another young woman going through a loss having to hear those words from him. There are kinder, more sensitive ways to deliver the news that someone has lost their pregnancy, other than to say, "we'll scrape you out." I threw the lab slip away and will never go back to him. I feel like Doctor Adams was a wonderful doctor 30 years ago. But I do not feel like he has any place handling high risk pregnancies, and I feel like some of his bedside manners could use some work. You don't have to sugar coat things with me, but I didn't feel his behavior was even professional. Oh, and as a side note, for both of my appointments there was a young woman who tagged along. She appeared to be barely 18 years old, and was never introduced to me, nor did she ever say a word. I assumed that she was a medical student. She stood directly behind the doctor during my exams and had a ring-side view to my private parts. I don't mind medical students. But that was probably the creepiest experience of my life. I recommend introducing them to the patients, and allowing them to speak.
Dr. Adams is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
50 Years Experience
University Of Vermont College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1968
Dr. Fred Adams accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsFred Adams Md, 1400 Florida Ave Ste 205A, Modesto, CA
Dr. Fred Adams is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Modesto, CA.