Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Karen E Bowles
Dr. Karen E Bowles, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Philadelphia, PA. She has 27 years of experience. Her specialties include Internal Medicine. Dr. Bowles is affiliated with Abington Jefferson Health and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center. Dr. Bowles has received 2 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Karen E Bowles has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Enlarged Prostate (Prostatic Hyperplasia)
- Adolescent Medicine
- Prenatal Care
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
- Heart Failure
- Estrogen Replacement Therapy
- Alternative Medicine
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
Karen Bowles only works part-time and you cannot have a part-time doctor looking after your health! DO NOT go to see this doctor if you are constantly tired & suffer from weight issues! She FAILED TO DIAGNOSE my autoimmune thyroid disease & I suffered for years thinking that I was "fine." She DISCOURAGED me from taking medication that my body needs--telling me to get more sleep. She is very nice & will listen but she is NOT A COMPETENT DOCTOR. Only see her if you are totally healthy and really do not need a doctor. My autoimmune disease is supposedly fairly common for middle aged women and she did not diagnose it for years!!!!!
If you have a potential THYROID issue, which effects many women, Dr. Bowles may not be the best internist for you. She recently diagnosed me with a thyroid issue (Hashimoto's disease). I had symptoms years ago and she failed to diagnose me--I feel like I have lost years of my life due to real fatigue (among other symptoms). Now that I've done a lot of research, I realize that she follows a less aggressive/older protocol in diagnosing and treating thyroid disease. She only ran the TSH test (not antibodies, T3 or T4) which does not provide a full picture of the thyroid issue. She never discussed treatment options, just prescribed the standard treatment. Nor did she recommend that I see an endocrinologist. I have had to educate myself & be my own advocate.
Bridges to Excellence: Physician Office Systems Recognition Program
This program is designed to recognize practices that use information systems to enhance the quality of patient care. To obtain Recognition, practices must demonstrate that they have implemented systematic office
NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home
The patient-centered medical home is a way of organizing primary care that emphasizes care coordination and communication to transform primary care into what patients want it to be. Medical homes can lead to higher quality and lower costs, and can improve patients' and providers' experience of care.
Dr. Bowles is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
27 Years Experience
University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1991
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Dr. Karen E Bowles accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica HMO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- First Health PPO
Geisinger Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Horizon BCBS OMNIA - TIER2
- Horizon Direct Access
- Horizon HMO
- Horizon OMNIA
- Horizon POS
- Horizon PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- QualCare HMO
- QualCare PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsPenn Care Internal Medicine Associates, 3701 Market St Ste 741, Philadelphia, PA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Karen E Bowles in this video.
Dr. Karen E Bowles is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Philadelphia, PA.