Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Michael S Irwig
Dr. Michael S Irwig, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Washington, DC. He has 18 years of experience. His specialties include Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism and Internal Medicine. Dr. Irwig is affiliated with Sinai Hospital Of Baltimore and George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Irwig has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Michael S Irwig has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Michael S Irwig has the following 14 expertise
- Addison Disease
- Gland Issues
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- Diabetes, Type 2
- Cushing Disease
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
Dr. Michael S Irwig has 1 board certified specialty
Dr. Michael S Irwig is Board Certified in 1 specialty
Showing 5 of 30
After reading the reviews that specifically mention diabetes care, I can't help but think that he doesn't particularly enjoy taking care of diabetes patients, and so doesn't give the time or attention that he gives to people with other endocrine problems. I have been with him for two years, but every time I go to him he pawns me off on the Nurse Practitioner there.My diabetes is not fully managed, so I would rather see him since I must change my dosage, etc so often.
Dr Irwig is very knowledgable, but his bedside manner is lacking. For someone who works with a lot of trans clients, I'd think he'd be more accepting. I've seen him several times, and will likely see him again since he is so knowledgable, but he didn't make me feel comfortable. He comes across as patronizing and condescending. I appreciate that he sits and leans forward in my general direction when taking my history, but it comes off as creepy instead of engaging. I actually prefer when he has his head in the computer and just types up what I've been saying. I also found it rather off putting how much he talks about himself and touts his accomplishments. It is great that he is working so hard, but I would rather spend that time discussing my health problems. All that being said, he seems knowledgable and has generally given me good advice.
Top 10 Doctor - Neighborhood (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
Dr. Irwig is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
18 Years Experience
Weill Cornell Medical College
Graduated in 2000
Dr. Michael S Irwig accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsGw Medical Faculty Associates, 2150 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Michael S Irwig in this video.
Dr. Michael S Irwig is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Washington, DC.