Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves has the following 12 expertise
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac Disease
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Catheter Ablation
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
I think she is a good doctor; however, she and her staff are extremely inaccessible. It usually takes 3-4 days for someone from the office to return your call, even when you make it clear that you are experiencing a time-sensitive medical problem. It is very difficult to get in to see her, and once in the office, the wait time averages 30-60 minutes. This has become such a problem that I have decided to find a new doctor, and I would not recommend her to individuals looking for a gastroenterologist.
I saw her about a year ago. I would agree with the comment that she was more interested in research than finding the cause of my symptoms. I had the tests she ordered, and only learned the results thru the online system, with no comments to explain the results. She did not mention a return appointment. I called with sever symptoms one morning, and the nurse returned my call that evening, telling me to go to the ER. I went the next morning, and they ran tests. Again, I only learned the results thru the online system. I have not returned to see her, and have been at a loss for a good gastroenterologist. If only Dr. Charles Winans had not retired at UofC!
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsDigestive Health Center, 259 E Erie St Fl 16, Chicago, IL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves in this video.
Dr. Nirmala Gonsalves is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Chicago, IL.