Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Thomas W Lucas
Dr. Thomas W Lucas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Dallas, TX, with another office in Dallas, TX. He has 49 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Lucas is affiliated with Timberlawn Mental Health System. Dr. Lucas has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Thomas W Lucas has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Personality Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 24
What a joke!!!! They schedule me 3 months out for a new patient, then call me the day before my apt just to say the Dr won't be in the office and try to move it another full month back. So, they want me to wait 4 months (if they don't reschedule again) just for me to see him. I'm now going to lose a full day of work for nothing!!!!!!
My son went to Dr. Lucas and all he did was talk to him for a short time and then put him on Xanax. (6 month supply) I called and notified the Dr by certified mail of serious concerns for my son (26 yrs old) since he was initially evaluated. (sleeps alot, withdrawn from society, rages, loss of memory, etc..). I requested/pleaded he not refill his prescription until he re-evaluated him. My request and concerns were ignored. He allowed the refills without another evaluation. Therefore, it tells me he doesn't care about the patient.... it's all about the money. DO NOT send your loved one to Dr. Thomas Lucas.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2014, 2012)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Lucas is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
49 Years Experience
University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1969
Dr. Thomas W Lucas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX Blue Advantage HMO
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Thomas W Lucas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dallas, TX.