Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. William G Herrera has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. William G Herrera has the following 8 expertise
- Migraine Disorder
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Nerve Conduction Studies
Dr. William G Herrera is Board Certified in 1 specialty
Showing 5 of 11
This doctor moved to HI to relax, to surf or to climb Mauna Loa summit but not to take care of patients. I went to get a second opinion about my diagnosis, one day I woke up and could not get up, spent 3 weeks bedridden and still, 6 months after, can't walk without a cane. I was telling the story of how my symptoms started and he kept interrupting me cuz he wanted to know just "what I was feeling at the moment of the appointment". I brought copies of my blood work, which he did not bother to look at, he didn't even sent his nurse or secretary to make copies of it! He spent 15 min with me and sent me home with a new prescription for headaches. The bond between patient and physician is vital for diagnostic and Therapeutic process, in this case it was non existant.
I was very unimpressed after seeing Dr Herrera. He did not seem coherent or knowledgeable about my problem. When I was experiencing dizziness, he prescribed a medication and sent me on my way. I took it to Walgreens to be filled and the pharmacist notified me that the dose was 7x the maximum allowable dose and was intended for migraines. I did not fill it and immediately found a different neurologist. Once diagnosed, the issue had nothing to do with migraines.
36 Years Experience
University Of Chicago Division Of The Biological Sciences The Pritzker School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Ucsd Medical Center
Dr. William G Herrera accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- HMSA Preferred Provider Comp Med
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsHilo Medical Center Neurology Clinic, 75 Puuhonu Pl, Hilo, HI
Dr. William G Herrera is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Hilo, HI.