Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. James M Schuster has the following 4 specialties
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Addiction Psychiatry
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Brain Cancer
- Sleep Disorders
- Pituitary Gland Cancer
- Depressive Disorder
- Auditory Tumor (Acoustic Neuroma)
- Vertebral Artery Dissection
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Head Trauma (Craniocerebral Trauma)
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Spinal Cord Compression
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Herniated Disc
- Gamma Knife Surgery (Stereotactic Radiosurgery)
- Arteriovenous Malformations
- Glial Cancer (Glioma)
- Mood Disorders
- Basal Ganglia Cerebrovascular Disease
- Carotid Stenosis
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Brain Aneurysm
- Carotid Artery Diseases (CAD)
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
- Bipolar Disorder
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Brain Arteriovenous Malformation (Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformations)
- Mental Illness
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 4 of 4
33 Years Experience
University Of Louisville School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1985
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Dr. James M Schuster accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsUpmc Downtown Practice, 339 6th Ave Fl 5, Pittsburgh, PA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James M Schuster in this video.
Dr. James M Schuster is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Pittsburgh, PA.