Get the facts about skin cancer, including the different types and symptoms.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Back Pain Get the facts about back pain, including the symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Dupuytren's Contracture Dupuytren’s contracture is a thickening of the tissue in your hand
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Hip Replacement The reasons why hip replacements are performed.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James Thompson
Dr. James Thompson, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Asheville, NC, with another office in Asheville, NC. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Surgery of the Hand and Orthopedic Surgery. Dr. Thompson is affiliated with Mission Hospitals, Asheville Specialty Hospital and Park Ridge Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. James Thompson has the following 2 specialties
- Surgery of the Hand
Hand surgeons are certified surgeons who are also experts in the function and structure of your wrists, hands and forearms. This allows them to treat arthritis, carpal tunnel, trigger finger and tennis elbow, most of which tend to result from repetitive and excessive use of the corresponding joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Hand surgeons also commonly work with patients who have fractures or broken bones from any kind of accident. If you're experiencing any kind of general pain in your hand, wrist or forearm that isn’t going away, a hand surgeon is probably your best resource.
- Orthopedic Surgery
An orthopaedic surgeon is a physician who specializes in diagnosis and surgical treatment of injuries and disorders involving the musculoskeletal system, such as hip replacements and arthroscopic knee surgery.
In addition to treating trauma to the musculoskeletal system, these doctors also deal with sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors and congenital disorders.
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 17
I found him to be dismissive and basically rude. I had a cyst on my finger which her drained by puncturing it without warning and letting me know that it would hurt . When it came back and we discussed surgery - i was told that I needed to amke an appointment to come in to make an appointment - $ for him and out of my pocket for a copay for nothing.
My husband crushed his hand in a work accident, breaking all four bones in the back of his hand, and Dr Thompson performed the surgery a few days later. He originally told us he was going to place a plate and screws on one of the fingers because it was broken so badly. But during the surgery, he changed his mind and decided to go the easier route and put a pin in it instead. Now, almost 2 years later, my husband still has absolutely no feeling in his pinky and can barely move it. Dr Thompson has a serious God-complex and an absolutely awful bedside manner. Oh and to top it all off, he gave me husband a 10% impairment rating for Workers Comp (the lowest possible) even though he is in constant pain and has difficulty with even the simplest things because of his hand.
Dr. Thompson is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Asheville Specialty Hospital
Park Ridge Hospital
Carolina Hand Surgery Associates
Memorial Mission Hospital and Mission Surgicare Center
Carolina Hand and Sports Medicine
St. Joseph`s Hospital
43 Years Experience
University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1970
St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital Center
Dr. James Thompson accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC Blue Value
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Carelink - Carolinas HealthCare System Tier 2
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James Thompson in this video.
Dr. James Thompson is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Asheville, NC.