Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. John A Gschwend has the following 1 specialty
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Women's Health
- Laproscopic Surgery (Laparoscopy)
- Hot Flashes
- Birth Control
- Child Birth
- Hysteroscopic Surgery
- Pap Smear
- Overactive Urinary Bladder
- Pelvic Exam
- Menstrual Pain
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 21
This man is not fit to serve as a physician. He can barely be bothered to raise his voice above a mumble, refuses to answer questions and would only tell me “whatever you want to do”, as though I have attended medical school in order to make an informed healthcare decision without the guidance of a medical professional. Both interactions I’ve had with him have left me in tears. Oh, but he was more than happy to answer my husbands questions, so maybe you just have to be a man to get straight answers, although I can’t imag that many OBGYN patients are men.
I have been a patient of Dr. Gschwend for 22 years. He first diagnosed a fibroid tumor after my original doctor told me "not to worry". After surgery follow up was spot on. Dr. Gschwend delivered my children, and I continue to see him annually. His dry wit is refreshing and his medical knowledge and professionalism is unmatched. I highly recommend him.
Its as simple as this: If you need someone who is very communicative and warm and fuzzy, this is probably not the doc for you. He took excellent care of me during my complicated pregnancy and made sure I was followed up on properly in the hospital after delivery. One nurse at Sibley told me confidentally that while people seem to think Dr. Gschwend is distant or cold, in fact of all the OB's she works with "he cares the most". That is an exact quote. I can tell you that he _does_ have a sense of humor, but his affect is very dry and his voice does not have much inflection. You kind of have to "get" him, and I am kind of expert in dealing with nerds, which this man absolutely is socially. But he and I have a definite give and take humor wise and the warmth that is in him is visible to me. I will also tell you my first visit with him was totally odd- he was being distracted by phone calls and weird stuff that he was not handling smoothly. Socially he may not be the most adept at meeting patient expectation but if you have a complicated pregnancy you want this man in the trenches with you. That smile you see in his photo- that actually reflects who he is on the inside quite well. But dont be surprised if when you visit you get confused by his deadpan demeanor!
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
36 Years Experience
Rush Medical College Of Rush University Medical Center
Graduated in 1982
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Dr. John A Gschwend accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsCaptial Womens Health Care, 10215 Fernwood Rd Ste 250, Bethesda, MD
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John A Gschwend in this video.
Dr. John A Gschwend is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Bethesda, MD.